Monday, May 5, 2014

Concert review: NEWS 10th Anniversary in Tokyo Dome

above: NEWS singing their self-composed anniversary song Ai Kotoba ~te wo hiite~
below, L-R: Having fun and bowing to the fans


Long ago I was already thinking of doing a review of NEWS MAKES YOU HAPPY! MAKES THE WORLD HAPPIER! concert. Then March 19, the DVD release date, came; and with all of excited NEWS fans I watched the con immediately... Not forgetting my plan to write a review. I watched it 2 times, 3 times, 4 times, 5 times, preparing my cellphone just in case I can think of something to put in the review! But after a week of watching I gave up. Conclusion: I am forever lazy. Or I was just dumbstruck by the awesome concert, maybe.

After a few weeks the LJ comm for Singaporean Paanas, sg_paanas, held a contest. A giveaway that greatly inspired me to do the review--at least in a spontaneous way. So I did! I'm proud that it's my most spontaneous analyzation ever. Most importantly, I never expected that this spontaneity would turn into a beautiful post. I'm very proud of my work okay. *teary-eyed*

This is gonna be long but crammed because the more I want to edit it the more I get lost XD I'll be talking about the concert itself. (excluding the cut scenes)

--

NEWS10th, for me, is NEWS' best concert so far, even better than the incomparable UtsuCon. The concert's aim to embody the 10 years of NEWS experience, I think they highly succeeded in that. Because unlike their past concerts this one has the most clear division of each parts.

Going deep into each 'part'. The first part is from the intro *compass* to WORLD QUEST, Chankapaana, 4+FAN to the others that followed before they changed into the cute ball-sy costumes. The first three songs show they're in a Johnny's group, obvious from the striking red costumes they're wearing. Yes they're Johnny's; they wouldn't be here without JE anyway. They showed that "NEWS is a Jyanizu group existing for 10 years already and we are so damn proud of that." The concert nailed it with a glorious start.

Then they changed into the black and white costumes and moved on. Moving on from the Johnny's appeal, they showed what NEWS is all about--simple happiness, as obvious at the simple black and white costumes, and the performances themselves. I mean, everyone would agree that Koi Matsuri perf is a favorite! Everybody's having fun, and there are lots of subtle (and not so subtle) member ai moments in this perf and in the previous and preceding performances. This part really shouts NEWS!! all the way.


The second part was started by the marching band which they used in Utsucon. I'm glad they performed again coz (aside from the fact that I love marching bands,) it was a great idea to have them for the intermission as the loud sounds of the instruments practically echoed throughout the dome. It's a great preparatory for the songs NEWS sung in that particular moment, while they are on the moving stages (I dunno what are those called, the two big moving thingies that rounded the whole place).

By the way I would like to comment something that may sound negative but I swear I don't mean it that way~ :) NEWS is such a corny group. They act kids even if they're not. They move around so youthfully with those costumes with balls, and then go to some juniors with shapes on their heads. What kind of performances are these, I thought.But then they removed the overly-decorated vest... And danced with all coolness. That was when I realized what they're trying to convey: we, NEWS, want you to see the different sides of us. We can be cute, we can be cool, we can be children or a bunch of handsome guys dancing SHOCK ME at your door. Now, are you shocked?

Yes very much I am. Then came the next part of the concert where NEWS changed their clothes into predominant black, and sang their ballads. Just not the ballads we were expecting... They did something only NEWS can do. No group in Johnny's can transform upbeat songs into heart-touching ballads so beautifully other than NEWS. :')

In the last costume change before the encore I never expected that my thoughts of "corny NEWS" would completely dissolve. Yet they did. NEWS stepped up with their uninhibited sexiness in Liar and the perfs that follow... It's nerve-wrecking, they're so hot and I was really apologizing for thinking they're corny. Afterwards, they were carefree again, singing classic songs like weeeek, and as usual, having fun. NEWS has been always good at this.

Because of the lack of subtitles I didn't understand the encore speech of the members. But by looking at the time they spent talking, we know they shared their sincere feelings to us. Tegoshi was all-out confident and strong with his words. Shige, though he didn't cry, looked so emotional and maybe overwhelmed with the whole thing. Massu cried; I actually expected that. But I didn't expect the sweet and funny moment with riida Koyama at that very serious time. ♥ And when it was the leader's turn, though I couldn't understand his words I know what he said was something to be treasured forever.

They sang CRY with the same sincerity. Tokyo Dome turned very solemn and only NEWS' voice was heard. It was the end of the con; or maybe not, because we knew they're gonna sing hyper songs at the encore! Yeah, for the last time, the towel-waving excite us to the highest degree.

Simply speaking, this concert intricately showed the growth of NEWS, from the nine kids especially picked by Johnny to form a group, to the four adult men who do not only sing and dance together but also are the best of friends. NEWS10th concert is where both ends meet. It's where you see their most matured performances ever but it's their most natural concert at same time. Here's truly where the four directions merge and become one.

Talking about the members' solos, which for some reason I don't have much to muse on... Honestly I think that the solos this time are pretty average--except for Remedy because Massu really went downright daring in his perf--but that doesn't mean the other solos were bad. Koyama's solo was awesome in its own merit; it was smooth, natural, the most relaxed performance I've ever seen from him. Shige looked like a magician in his pink outfit. It was his first time wearing a bright, bold color in a solo so he was probably making a contrast to the sleep-inducing lyrics of his song. It wasn't a boring performance (if someone felt bored maybe it's fine because Dreamcatcher is a 'sleep' song) but I just expected a little... Liveliness? It's just my expectation though. Lastly, Tegoshi's solo *can I not talk about this, I might forget the lyrics. Kidding! :p* was like Koyama's as it was the most natural performance of him I've ever seen. His epic fail helped, it sets the mood into a little LOL moment before everything became serious and deep with him and his guitar.

Each of the solo performances, like the solo songs, has its own mood and appeal so I can't really say which one was the best, but I'd go for Remedy as my fave because it was so hoooot. Everything in it. orz!

--

There was also something that I came to think of: Comparing this concert to Livex3. They're both fun concerts (all NEWS concerts are fun of course~ but Livex3 and NEWS10th have the 'party' fun, in my opinion). What differentiates them is the kind of fun the two concerts are projecting. Livex3 is like a party at a club, with all of those funky costumes and crazy and wild things that go with it. NEWS10th is party in our own house, where all of us can be spontaneous and be comfortably ourselves. It's hard to explain further but that's what I feel about NEWS10th, and that's why in this concert I feel at home the most.

Overall, it was a satisfying watch. There's no point of comparing it to other NEWS concerts (and I'm sorry I pinched in a comparison with Livex3 above), but I'd say NEWS10th is their best concert to date because this is where I saw the result of the bond they had in 10 years. The concert is extravagant, it's like a festival but it's also simple; from the stage to the performances, this 10th anniversary concert simply touches our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment